IBM Announces Investment in Notes Domino Version 10 and Beyond
IBM made some big announcements on October 25, 2017 in regards to the future commitment and investment in Notes and Domino.
First, Notes and Domino will have a version 10 released in 2018.
Secondly, IBM is now leaving all the development of the platform to their partner HCL. IBM already has a partnership with them on several other products in their portfolio.
HCL Technologies Limited is an Indian multinational IT services company, headquartered in India. It is a subsidiary of HCL Enterprise. Originally a research and development division of HCL, it emerged as an independent company in 1991 when HCL ventured into the software services business. The company has offices in 34 countries including the United States, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
So what does this mean? It means that the platform is not dead, something which we’ve heard since around 2002 from people.
It also means that for the customers, there will be no change in their relationship with IBM. The biggest change is that HCL will do the development. But sales, support, PMRs, licensing and Passport advantage will all still be done via IBM.
IBM and HCL are committed to make sure that support, development and continuation of the platform will not be disrupted.
The next version of Notes, Domino and Sametime is going under the name “Project Sapphire.”
Other stuff to look forward to:
- Domino will now support the Mail client for Mac as they already do for Outlook via Exchange ActiveSync
- There will be constant development for the Domino platform, so that it will be easier to integrate with other platforms and solutions
- IBM will hold jams (currently called Domino 2025) for ideas about the future of Notes/Domino where people will have meetings, talks and other ways to give IBM feedback
- User groups will be invited to be much more involved in the future, but you can Join the Domino 2025 Jam now to help define IBM’s Domino and Notes roadmap for 2018 and beyond
- The IBM Think conference (taking over for Lotusphere/Connect) will have a much larger presence for Notes/Domino
Here’s the portfolio that’s a part of the HCL partnership:
- IBM Notes and Domino
- IBM SmartCloud Notes
- IBM Notes Traveler
- IBM Mobile Connect
- IBM Verse
- IBM Mail Support for Microsoft Outlook(IMSMO)
- IBM WISPR
- IBM Enterprise Integrator (LEI)
- IBM Sametime portfolio
- IBM Connections Chat/Meetings
- IBM Client Access (ICAA)
Click on the link below to view the announcement from IBM.
Contact GreyDuck Technology now at 763-420-2570 or email@example.com to discuss upgrading to IBM Notes & Domino 9.0.1.x and IBM Traveler 9.0.1.x with high availability support for the latest versions of the iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile.